Skip to main content

Sleep apnoea kills*

It was sad to see in the news today that Star Wars actress Carrie Fisher died from sleep apnoea and “other causes” according to the Los Angeles coroner. However, her death certificate states she suffered a cardiac arrest, and in a statement the LA coroner said the exact cause was unknown.[1]

For me, as someone passionate about raising awareness of the damage sleep apnoea can do, it is especially sad to hear that sleep apnoea was involved.

But note, that even though sleep apnoea was listed as a cause of death[2], it was not marked as such on the death certificate… because * sleep apnoea doesn’t normally kill people, but it exacerbates conditions, so undiagnosed/untreated sleep apnoea sufferers will die of stroke or heart attack, for example.


My question then is does sleep apnoea not get the recognition, does it not have the level of awareness in the general public BECAUSE it is not listed as a cause of death?
Imagine if the evening news stated that there had been a 10% increase in deaths related to sleep apnoea.
Would that make you sit up and think about the quality of your sleep? Would it encourage you ask your snoring partner to go to the doctor to get tested?

I suggest it would. We don’t normally want to bring about our earlier demise, so should we be asking for more reporting of deaths with sleep apnoea as a factor in order to track this?


Thanks, sleep well.

TSL
#snoring #sleepapnoea #sleepapnea


Comments

  1. I might run an update when the full coroner's report comes out on Monday...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great article!
    I didnt know sleep apnoea was that dangerous.
    My friend has it and he walks all day with a monitor.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hi. Comments are really welcome but to avoid spam are moderated before being published.

Popular posts from this blog

The stress of new year resolutions!

It’s 2017 – Happy New Year everyone! Let’s face it, at the beginning of the year pretty much everyone bangs on about changing this and improving that… and there’s a massive part of me that wants to do the same. I’m a full-time working mum with a 4 year old and 1 year old (who doesn’t sleep through the night yet) so whilst I’d love to walk to work, go to the gym, drink less GnT and eat less chocolate, I’ve also got to keep it realistic.  I could walk to work, but I also have to do the school run, so the logistics don’t work, and frankly with a full time job, a home and young children my will-power at the end of the day isn’t the greatest. Anyone with me? (Or am I just a bit rubbish?) I’m actually ok with it, and if I don’t have unrealistic goals, I won’t have that sinking feeling mid-January/February realising that so early into the year I’ve not achieved my aims. However, what I am committing to this year is having more ‘me’ time.  Now before you swit

I want it now... I'll worry about the cost later

The launch of the Amazon 'Dash button' got me thinking... I love that the Internet of Things is happening... but what does it say about us? Press a button and 'ta-da' the thing that you need is delivered the next day. As a working mum, it's great that re-ordering could be made so easy... put one of these buttons on the washing machine and when you're running low on detergent, press the button and new detergent arrives. But is this indicative of our need for immediacy? We want an immediate 'cure' for this and 'fix' for that. Don't want the sustained effort of calorie reduction and exercise? - No, I'll have a pill please. This is what I see increasingly in medicine and healthcare. We're increasingly impatient to wait for a doctors appointment, so we Google our symptoms, and no doubt scare ourselves to death that we have some terrible condition... and succumb to the latest quick fix. We self diagnose ourselves rather than waiti